Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Brickyard Plantation



Marker ID:  
Location: On Brickyard Parkway, west of US 17, Mount Pleasant, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 51.342    W 079° 48.138
  32.8557    -79.8023
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front):
Brickyard Plantation is a portion of the vast Boone Hall Plantation. The soils that cover much of the tract contain dense red clay and sand making it suitable for brick production. In 1817, “a plantation with a Brick Yard established thereon called Boon Hall” was purchased by John and Henry Horlbeck. The brothers were partners in the construction industry having built several notable structures in Charleston such as the St John´s Lutheran Church and St. Stephen´s (Continued on Reverse)

(Reverse):
Chapel. The Horlbecks developed the brick yard into a major enterprise. From 1850 to 1860, twenty five million bricks were produced at a profit of $170,000. The brick yard operated throughout the nineteenth century and was later known as the Horlbeck Brick and Tile Company. The facility consisted of several kilns, workshops, drying areas, a brick lined cistern, a commissary, and a steam boiler. The boiler´s brick chimney stands today.

Erected by the Town of Mount Pleasant, 2009