Historic Markers Across South Carolina



General William Moultrie



Marker ID:  
Location: in front of the Moultrie Middle School at 645 Coleman Boulevard, Mount Pleasant, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 47.477    W 079° 52.359
  32.79128333    -79.87265
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

The Moultrie Schools were named in honor of General William Moultrie, the highest ranking S. C. officer during the Revolution War and hero of the 1776 Battle of Fort Sullivan, which was renamed Fort Moultrie. He fought in the S. C. Militia during the 1761 Cherokee Wars, and served in the Royal Assembly and first Provincial Congress. He was elected Lieutenant Governor and was Governor twice. While Governor, he relocated the capital from Charleston to Columbia and established the county system and county court system. Moultrie designed the first S. C. state flag during the American Revolution.

Erect by the town of Mount Pleasant, 2008