Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Marion Square



Marker ID:  
Location: In Mation Square on King Street, Charleston, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 47.168    W 079° 56.184
  32.78613333    -79.9364
Style: Mounted **
 



Text:

Named in honor of
General Francis Marion


At the time of the revolution the town gates stood near this spot across what is now King Street originally the high way into Charles Town and formerly called the “Broad Path”. In 1780 these gates were enclosed in the “Horn Work”, the post of honor in the city´s land defenses extending from river to river and known as “The Lines”. The “tobacco inspection” - warehouses established for the inspection and storage of tobacco before exportation - stood north of the square between tobacco and Hutson streets. The buildings now on the site include the Arsenal, erected for the Municipal Guard after the attempted slave uprising of 1822, and subsequently named the “Citadel”. In 1842 they were occupied by the South Carolina Military Academy. In 1937 these buildings were converted into county offices. Ceded in 1833 to the field offices of the fourth brigade, the square was and still is held as a public mall and a parade ground. It has long been known as the “Citadel Green”.

Erected by the city of Charleston
1941



Notes:

More information:
Wikipedia - Francis Marion
The Patriot Resource - Francis Marion

The Swamp Fox Murals Trail Society
Francis Marion Trail