Historic Markers Across South Carolina



City Market



Marker ID:  
Location: Mounted to the entrance to the market on Meeting Street, between N marker and S Market.
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 46.843    W 079° 55.871
  32.78071666    -79.93118333
Style: Mounted **
 



Text:

Here was erected between 1788 and 1804 the public market on land cede to the City Council by Charles Cotesworth Pinckney Et Al… Work on filling in low ground and creek completed in 1807; and six blocks of buildings constructed extending from meeting Street to the Cooper River: in order, the beef market, three buildings for vegetables, fruit and other provisions, the market for small meats, and the fish market . . . . .
Market Hall erected 1841, now houses the Confederate Museum.

Place by the city of Charleston
November 20, 1939