Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Hobcaw Shipyards



Marker ID:  
Location: at the intersection of East Hobcaw Drive (State Road 10-1515) and Hobcaw Drive (State Road 10-503), Mount Pleasant, SC.
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 48.982    W 079° 53.004
  32.81636666    -79.8834
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Inscription. Shipyards built on Hobcaw Creek included Pritchard´s Shipyard, the largest in colonial South Carolina. Notable ships launched there were the 180 ton Heart of Oak (1776) and the 200 ton Magna Carta (1770). The South Carolina Navy built and maintained naval vessels at Prichard´s during the Revolutionary War. The shipyard industry closed in 1831, after 78 years of operation.

Erected 2002.