Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Revolutionary Artillery



Marker ID:  
Location: 79 Cumberland Street, Charleston, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 46.772    W 079° 55.803
  32.77953333    -79.93005
 



Text:

Revolutionary Artillery
The Cannon Yard


It is believed that these two 12-pound British naval cannons were transported to Charles Town during the American Revolution (1775-1783). During the 19th century they stood vertically with their muzzles in the ground on Ann Street — near the present-day Charleston Visitor Center. The cannons were relocated to the Powder Magazine yard in 1904.