Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Immaculate Conception School



Marker ID:  
Location: 200 Coming Street, Charleston, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 47.422    W 079° 56.566
  32.79036666    -79.94276666
Style: Mounted **
 



Text:

In 1907, Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church was established as St. Peter’s mission and Immaculate Conception School was opened on Sheppard Street under the guidance of Our Lady of Mercy Sisters. Mother Katherine Drexel, a U.S. heiress who dedicated her life to educating African Americana and Native Americans gave the parish the financial assistance needed to found Immaculate Conception School. Bishop William T. Russell appointed the Holy Ghost Fathers and Oblate Sisters of Providence to elevate St. Peter’s educational status in 1917. The Oblate Sisters’ fruitful years led to an increase in student enrollment from 300 to 500 by 1923. A new Immaculate Conception School, envisioned by Bishop Russell in 1928, was financed by Mother Katherine Drexel in 1929. The school on Sheppard Street closed in 1929 and the new school, a fireproof red brick structure which contained 14 classrooms, was constructed at Coming and Morris Streets and dedicated by Bishop Emmet M. Walsh in 1930. ICS expanded to a high school and was accredited in September 1935. After many successful years educating Catholics and non-Catholics, a drop in enrollment resulted in the transfer of students in 1968 and Immaculate Conception School closed as an educational institution in 1973.

The Moja Arts Festival, City of Charleston