Historic Markers Across South Carolina



90 East Bay Street Ancrum Wharf Building



Marker ID:  
Location: 90 East Bay Street, Charleston, SC
County: Charleston
Coordinates: N 32° 46.515    W 079° 55.626
  32.77525    -79.9271
Style: Mounted **
 



Text:

90 East Bay Street Ancrum Wharf Building
Circa 1781

Altered circa 1855



The Ancrum Wharf Building was constructed by Parker Quince and John Ancrum, both North Carolina natives, who were married to Savannah and Mary Rhett. The Rhett sisters were heirs to Col. William Rhett. The Ancrum Wharf Building is one of the few wharf-related eighteenth structures surviving in Charleston and abuts one of the only remaining cobblestone streets. Originally constructed as a three-story building, the Ancrum Wharf Building was altered to function as a two-story building during the mid-nineteenth century. The large windows of the upper floor were altered to mask evidence that this tall upper space once comprised two separate floors.

When first built the Ancrum Wharf Building was across from a public fish market that lay immediately to the south. During the first half of the nineteenth century the Ancrum Wharf Building served as the offices of James Hamilton and Co. who began a steamship service between Charleston and Savannah in 1836. A decade later, under the direction of shipping magnate James Adger, the area behind the Ancrum Wharf Building became the southern terminus for the first steamship line between Charleston and New York. During the twentieth century, the Gaud School was located in the Ancrum Wharf Building from 1928-1941 and again from 1951-1962. After the Gaud School relocated in 1962, the building was converted into apartments. In 1998 the Ancrum Wharf Building was renovated as a single family residence.

Erected 1999 by Preservation Society of Charleston.