Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Gaffney



Marker ID: SCHM 11-2
Location: 115 North Granard Street, Gaffney
County: Cherokee
Coordinates: N 35° 00.146    W 081° 50.758
  35.00243333    -81.84596666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

The Grindal Shoals and Cherokee Ford roads crossed here when this land was originally granted to John Sarratt in 1799 by the state of South Carolina. Michael Gaffney purchased the land in 1804 and by 1820, Gaffney´s Tavern was located at the crossroads. In 1873, John R. Logan laid out the present street plan, and Gaffney was incorporated as a town in 1875.

Erected try The Cherokee Historical and Preservation Society - 1977