Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Limestone College



Marker ID:  11-3
Location: Near intersection of College Dr. and Griffith St. at the entrance to Limestone College, Gaffney, SC
County: Cherokee
Coordinates: N 35° 3.434    W 081° 38.9
  35.05723333    -81.64833333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Founded in 1845 as the Limestone Springs Female High School by Dr. Thomas Curtis and his son Dr. William Curtis, distinguished Baptist clergymen. The school thrived until falling on hard times during the Civil War and Reconstruction. In 1881 the institution was revived by New York benefactor Peter Cooper as Cooper Limestone Institute. Renamed Limestone College in 1898.

Erected by Limestone College, 1998