Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Granard Graded and High School / Granard High School



Marker ID:  11-7
Location: Granard St. (U.S. Hwy. 29) near its intersection with Logan St., Gaffney, SC
County: Cherokee
Coordinates: N 35° 3.935    W 081° 39.7
  35.06558333    -81.66166666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

GRANARD GRADED AND HIGH SCHOOL

This is the original location of Granard Graded and High School, also known as Granard Street School. It was built here between 1905 and 1914 and included the first black high school in Gaffney. The first high school graduating class numbered two students in 1923. J.E. Gaffney served as Granard´s principal for more than thirty years. A new Granard High, a brick building, was built on Rutledge Avenue in 1937.

GRANARD HIGH SCHOOL


The 1937 Granard High School included grades 1-11 until 1947, then added grade 12. Standard courses for grades 8-11 were supplemented by industrial and home economics courses, sports, music, art, and other activities. Granard High School organized its first sports team in 1928 and its first band and chorus in 1947. The school closed in 1968 when Cherokee County schools were desegregated.

Erected by the Cherokee Historical and Preservation Society
and the Cherokee County African-American Heritage Committee, 2008