Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Brainerd Institute



Marker ID: SCHM 12-10
Location: Lancaster St., Chester, SC
County: Chester
Coordinates: N 34° 42.33    W 081° 11.904
  34.7055    -81.1984
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This institute grew out of an 1866 school for freedmen; it became Brainerd Institute in 1868 when the Board of Missions of the Presbyterian Church in New York appointed Rev. Samuel Loomis to help establish churches and schools among the blacks near Chester. At first an elementary school, Brainerd grew to ten grades by 1913 and was a four year high school by the 1930s. Renamed Brainerd Junior College about 1935, it emphasized teacher training until it closed in 1939.

Erected by Chester Middle School Junior Beta Club, 1997