Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Chester County Courthouse (1825-1855)



Marker ID:  
Location: 140 Main Street, Chester, SC
County: Chester
Coordinates: N 34° 42.35    W 081° 12.8
  34.70583333    -81.21333333
Style: Mounted **
 



Text:

Chester County Courthouse (1825-1855)


Chester County's fifth courthouse replaced three others in the city & the first courthouse was located (1785-1791) at John Walker's House in the Lewis Community.

In 1928, the 3-story rear wings were added, & in 1975 interior renovation[s] were made to the court & the courtroom area.


Notes:

This marker is made of wood.