Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Chesterfield High School



Marker ID: SCHM 13-15
Location: 602 W Main Street, Chesterfield, SC
County: Chesterfield
Coordinates: N 34° 44.134    W 080° 5.653
  34.73556666    -80.09421666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Chesterfield High School



(front)
Chesterfield High School, which stood here from 1908 to 1992, was the successor to Chesterfield Academy, an antebellum school burned by Federal troops in 1865. A new academy, built in 1889, later became Chesterfield School. By 1907 it has three teachers and many students in grades 1-11 that a new school was necessary. The 1908 school, designed by E.V. Richards, was a two-story Classical Revival building.

(back)
Enrollment grew after 1908, requiring additions in 1918 and 1923 and remodeling in 1950s. A gymnasium was built by the Works Progress Administration in 1934-39. Grade 12 was added in 1948. A new Chesterfield High School on N. Page St. was built in 1969 for students from Chesterfield, Ruby, and Gary in grades 10-12. The old school her, a junior high school until 1981, burned in 1992; the gymnasium burned in 2004.


Sponsered by Town of Chesterfield, 2014.