Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Robert Smalls School



Marker ID: SCHM 13-16
Location: St. David's Episcopal Church, Church St., Cheraw, SC
County: Chesterfield
Coordinates: N 34° 42.106    W 079° 53.030
  34.70176666    -79.88383333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Robert Smalls School


(front)
Robert Smalls School was built in 1953 as segregated school for African American students. Construction was funded as part of South Carolina's school equalization program. While both white and black schools were funded by the program, the purpose was to equalize African American education facilities and conform with the doctrine of "separate but equal" in order to avoid racial integration.


(reverse)
Designed by the firm of Hopkins, Baker & Gill of Florence, S.C., the school's Colonial Revival aesthetic Cheraw Incorporated, a group of local leaders who worked to ensure that new construction in the area was consistent with Cheraw's historic character. The architecture of the building sets it apart from other equalization schools, which were usually built in a mid-century modern style.

Sponsored by Pathfinders United, 2015