Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Fort Watson



Marker ID: SCHM 14-1
Location: US 301-15, 1 mile N of Lake Marion
County: Clarendon
Coordinates: N 33° 31.966    W 080° 25.91
  33.53276666    -80.43183333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

The first post in S. C. retaken from the British; the stockade fort on this old Indian mound had controlled the road from Charleston to Camden as well as the Santee River. On April 15, 1781, Gen. Francis Marion and Lt. Col. Henry Lee encircled it with troops while Major Hezekiah Maham built a log tower whose fire could command it. On April 23, the Americans undermined the works and forced its surrender.

Erected by S. C. Forestry Commission, Parks Division - 1963


Notes:

More information:
Wikipedia - Siege of Fort Watson