Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Site of Original St. Mark's Church



Marker ID: SCHM 14-6
Location: on Road 76 about 1 mile S of Rimini
County: Clarendon
Coordinates: N 33° 39.301    W 080° 29.724
  33.65501666    -80.4954
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Near here, at Halfway Swamp, was built the first church of St. Mark´s Parish, established May 21,1757, with Richard Richardson, Joseph Cantey, Matthew Nelson, Isaac Brunson, James M´Girt, William and John Cantey as commissioners. Burned by British during the Revolution, the church was rebuilt four times and now stands near Pinewood.

Erected by Clarendon County Historical Society - 1980


Notes:

Two sided marker - Revolutionary Skirmish near Tearcoat Branch