Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Liberty Hill Church



Marker ID: SCHM 14-8
Location: about 1 mile N of St. Paul on Road 373
County: Clarendon
Coordinates: N 33° 35.46    W 080° 23.372
  33.591    -80.38953333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

1867, five years after the Emancipation Proclamation, Thomas and Margaret Briggs gave four acres of land to this African Methodist Episcopal church. The present building, completed in 1905, has been brick veneered. Meetings held here in the 1940s and 1950s led to local court cases, which helped bring about the U. S. Supreme Court´s 1954 ruling desegregating public schools.

Erected by The Congregation - 1985


Notes:

Two sided marker - Pioneers in Desegregation