Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Andrews Chapel Church



Marker ID: SCHM 14-9
Location: Several miles NW of Summerton, at the church on Road 306
County: Clarendon
Coordinates: N 33° 39.281    W 080° 23.067
  33.65468333    -80.38445
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

According to local tradition, this Methodist congregation was organized in 1786 and pioneer American bishop Francis Asbury later visited the area a number of times. The church stands today on land given by Ellis R. and Mary A. Richbourg in 1880. Bessie B. Parker, first woman to be ordained a Methodist minister in S.C., served here 1959-1962 and is buried in the cemetery.

Erected by The Congregation - 1986