Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Clarendon County



Marker ID: SCHM 14-10
Location: on grounds of Clarendon County Court House, Manning
County: Clarendon
Coordinates: N 33° 41.702    W 080° 12.709
  33.69503333    -80.21181666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Five S.C. governors have come from area, which was part of the Parish of 51. Mark (1757) and Camden District (1769) before becoming Clarendon County in 1785. The county was then part of Sumter circuit court district (1799) before becoming Clarendon District (1855) and finally Clarendon County again in 1868, taking its name from the Earl of Clarendon, one of the original Lords Proprietors of Carolina.

Erected by Clarendon County Historical Society - 1988


Notes:

Two sided marker - Manning