Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Manning



Marker ID: SCHM 14-10
Location: on grounds of Clarendon County Court House, Manning
County: Clarendon
Coordinates: N 33° 41.702    W 080° 12.709
  33.69503333    -80.21181666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Manning, established in 1855 as the seat of Clarendon District, was incorporated in 1861, its town limits extending 1/2 mile from the courthouse in all directions. In 1865, Union troops under General Edward E. Potter partially burned the town. About two blocks N. of here on Church S1. is the grave of Pv1. Josiah B. Pratt, one of Potter´s soldiers, who was killed in this foray only a few days before Lee´s surrender at Appomattox.

Erected by Clarendon County Historical Society - 1988


Notes:

Two sided marker - Clarendon County