Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Summerton Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 14-14
Location: At the church on Cantey St at Walker, Summerton, SC
County: Clarendon
Coordinates: N 33° 36.326    W 080° 21.101
  33.60543333    -80.35168333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front) This church, founded in 1875 as a mission of the Presbyterian Church in Manning, grew out of occasional services held in the Methodist church before the Civil War. The first worship site, a renovated carriage house, was located ½ mi. east at Wildwood Plantation, on Taw Caw Road.

(Reverse) Summerton Presbyterian Church was formally organized in 1883 with twenty-one charter members. A frame church was built on Main St. in 1885, but by 1905 the congregation wished to move from the downtown business district and began work on the present brick sanctuary here, completed in 1907.

Erected by the Congregation for the 125th Anniversary and in Memory of C. Alex Harvin, Jr., 2001