Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Hannah Levi Memorial Library / Manning Library



Marker ID:  14-16
Location: on N Brooks St (US 521 - US 521 - US 301) at Oak St, Manning, SC
County: Clarendon
Coordinates: N 33° 41.961    W 080° 12.645
  33.69935    -80.21075
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Hannah Levi Memorial Library


The Hannah Levi Memorial Library, built in 1909-1910, grew out of a library fund begun in 1905 by the children of Moses and Hannah Levi, along with proceeds from the sale of the Moses Levi Memorial Institute. A matching grant from the city of Manning and a public fund raising effort helped complete this Classical Revival building. It was possibly designed by Shand & Lafaye, architects for the county courthouse.

Manning Library


Managed by the Manning Civic League, this building served as the Manning Library and as a social hall 1910-1976. Deeded to the county in 1976, it was the Clarendon County Public Library until 1984. The library was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. The Clarendon County Archives & History Center, established to collect, preserve, and display documents and artifacts, opened here in 1996.

2005 The Wendell M. Levi Trust.