Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Trinity A.M.E. Church



Marker ID: SCHM 14-17
Location: 39 W. Rigby St., Manning, SC
County: Clarendon
Coordinates: N 33° 41.796    W 080° 12.746
  33.6966    -80.21243333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church was founded soon after the Civil War by 50 freedmen and women who held their first services in a stable donated to them by S.A. Rigby. In 1869 the church trustees bought a half-acre lot for a school, and in 1870 they bought a one-acre lot for “the African Methodist Episcopal Church of Manning” on what is now Rigby Street, named for Rigby. The first church here, a frame building, was completed in 1874.

(Reverse)
The congregation, first called simply “Our Church” by its members, was renamed Trinity A.M.E. Church when its first building was completed in 1874. That building was replaced by a larger frame church, which burned in 1895. The present church, also a frame building, was built that year and covered in brick veneer in 1914. The Central S.C. Conference of the A.M.E. Church was organized here in 1921.

Erected by the Congregation, 2006