Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Edmundsbury



Marker ID: SCHM 15-3
Location: US 17 at Ashepoo River
County: Colleton
Coordinates: N 32° 44.563    W 080° 33.506
  32.742717    -80.558433
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

A brick Chapel of Ease for St. Bartholomew´s Parish was built here in 1785 in a town laid out in 1740 and named for Landgrave Edmund Bellinger. The vestry reported the chapel unfit for use in 1786, and in 1810 it fell in ruins. A new chapel was built in 1819, burnt 1852, rebuilt 1854, and was wrecked by Union troops in 1865.

Erected by Colleton County Historical Society - 1961