Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Bethel Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 15-8
Location: SC 64, 12 miles Eo/Walterboro
County: Colleton
Coordinates: N 32° 47.855    W 080° 29.446
  32.797583    -80.490767
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Founded on this site in 1728 by the Reverend Archibald Stobo, Bethel or Pon Pon Church served a large Presbyterian congregation until replaced by Bethel Presbyterian Church in nearby town of Walterboro early in the nineteenth century. The original bell was moved to the new church in Walterboro. The old building burned in 1886.

Erected by Colleton County Historical Society - 1964