Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Catholic Hill



Marker ID: SCHM 15-10
Location: Road 41, 2.5 miles W of intersection with SC 303, S of Walterboro
County: Colleton
Coordinates: N 32° 46.592    W 080° 39.737
  32.776533    -80.662283
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Settlers in this area from Ireland and of the Roman Catholic faith helped form the ecclesiastical territory of Colleton, Beaufort, and Barnwell Districts under Bishop John England in 1831. The Church of St. James the Greater was dedicated on this site on January 30, 1832, and remained in use until destroyed by fire on April 12, 1856.

Erected by Colleton County Historical Society - 1966