Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Pon Pon Chapel



Marker ID: SCHM 15-14
Location: Junction of SC 64 and Road 40
County: Colleton
Coordinates: N 32° 47.752    W 080° 29.288
  32.795867    -80.488133
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

On Parker´s Ferry road one mile northeast of here are the ruins of Pon Pon Chapel of Ease, established in 1725 by an Act of the General Assembly after the Yemassee War aborted plans for St. Bartholomew´s Parish Church. John Wesley preached here in 1737. The brick building erected in 1754 was burned in 1801 and has since been known as "the Burnt Church."

Erected by Colleton County Historical Society - 1970