Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Hendersonville



Marker ID: SCHM 15-16
Location: on east side of us 17A at Salem United Methodist church in Hendersonville
County: Colleton
Coordinates: N 32° 47.603    W 080° 43.495
  32.793383    -80.724917
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Settled by 1791 and known as Godfrey Savanna, this area later was the summer home for a colony of Combahee River rice planters. The settlement, known as Hendersonville by 1862, was named for Dr. Edward Rogers Henderson, a local landowner and signer of the 1860 Ordinance of Secession from Colleton County.

Erected by Salem United Methodist Church and Colleton County Historical Society - 1993


Notes:

Two sided marker - Arab the Horse