Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Anderson Field



Marker ID: SCHM 15-17
Location: Aviation Lane, Walterboro Anderson Field Walterboro Army Air Field
County: Colleton
Coordinates: N 32° 54.981    W 080° 38.273
  32.91635    -80.637883
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This airfield, the first in Colleton County, was built and dedicated in 1933 on 60 acres leased to the town of Walterboro by the estate of C. C. Anderson, for whom it was named. By 1937 the town purchased the field and its 3 unpaved landing strips. Local, state, and federal sources combined to fund a large hangar and paved runways by 1941. The U.S. Army Air Corps leased the field from the town in early 1942 and purchased an additional 3,712 acres to create a new Walterboro Army Air Field.

Erected by Walterboro-Colleton Co. Airport Commission & the Colleton Co. Historical and Preservation Society - 1997


Notes:

Two sided marker - Walterboro Army Air Field