Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Training the Tuskegee Airmen



Marker ID: SCHM 15-21
Location: 1447 Mighty Cougar Drive, Walterboro, SC, near the Colleton County High School Student Parking Lot
County: Colleton
Coordinates: N 32° 56.376    W 080° 38.162
  32.9396    -80.63603333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Graduates of the Tuskegee Army Flying School, who belonged to the first African-American units in the U.S. Army Air Corps, took further combat flight training at Walterboro Army Air Field from May 1944 to October 1945. Many of the first “Tuskegee Airmen” had already won distinction and fame in missions over North Africa, Sicily, and Italy in 1943-44, and several of them were assigned here as combat flight instructors.

(Reverse)
Trainees here flew the P-39, P-47, and P-40 fighter planes and the B-25 bomber. The officers´ quarters and enlisted men´s barracks stood just east and just west of this spot, respectively. Segregation on American military posts, in place until 1948, was made worse by the fact that German POWs held here could use “White” facilities but the “Colored” officers and men of the U.S. Army Air Corps could not.

Erected by the Hiram E. Mann Chapter, Tuskegee Airmen, Inc., 2011


Notes:

More information:
Wikipedia - Tuskegee Airman
Wikipedia - Tuskegee Airmen, Inc.