Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Long Bluff



Marker ID: SCHM 16-3
Location: US 15-401 at Welsh Neck Baptist Church, Society Hill
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 30.786    W 079° 51.003
  34.5131    -79.85005
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Long Bluff, 314 mile east on Great Pee Dee River, was the site of the first courthouse and jail for old Cheraws District in 1772. The town was known as Greeneville after the Revolution and remained the seat of justice until the formation of Darlington, Marlboro and Chesterfield Districts. Circuit courts and elections were conducted for a while longer.

(Reverse)
At a Circuit Court held here on November 15, 1774, more than a year before the Declaration of Independence, the Grand Jury of Cheraws District denied the right of Parliament to levy taxes on them and declared themselves ready to defend with their lives and fortunes the right to obey only those laws made by their own elected representatives.

Erected by Darlington County Historical Society - 1965