Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Mont Clare Community Center



Marker ID: SCHM 16-5
Location: on Mont Clare Rd, north of Darlington, SC
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 23.823    W 079° 49.020
  34.39705    -79.817
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This community center, the first in Darlington County, was built in 1933 by local citizens. The land was donated by E.M. Williamson of Mont Clare Plantation, the cypress logs and other lumber were cut at T.C. Coxe´s Skufful Plantation, and the sandstone for the foundation was quarried at Skufful Plantation(continued on other side) (continued from other side) The Mont Clare Mission was a non~denominational Sunday School and worship service organized in 1913 at nearby Mont Clare School. It met here from 1933 until Mont Clare Baptist Church was formally founded in 1960. This center, described as a "lovely log building." has hosted church, school, and other events