Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Jacob Kelley House



Marker ID: SCHM 16-8
Location: S of SC 12 in Kelley town, 3 miles W of Hartsville
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 20.998    W 080° 08.518
  34.34996666    -80.14196666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This house, home of Jacob Kelley (1780 - 1874), was used as a Union headquarters on March 2-3, 1865 by Major-General John E. Smith, Commander of the Third Division, Fifteenth Army Corps. During the encampment by Federal forces, the mills near Kelley Town were run for the benefit of the Third Division and foraging parties roamed the area.

Erected by Darlington County Historical Commission - 1969