Historic Markers Across South Carolina



St. David's Academy



Marker ID: SCHM 16-9
Location: US 401, at present St. David's Academy, Society Hill
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 30.372    079° 51.464
  34.5062    -22.85773333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

The St. David´s Society, organized in 1777 and chartered in 1778, built the first public academy in St. David´s Parish 3/4 mile northeast in 1786. Alexander McIntosh, George Hicks, Abel Kolb, William Pegues, and Thomas Evans were early officers. The academy was removed to this site about 1840 and the present building was erected in 1957.

Erected by Darlington County Historical Commission - 1970