Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Thomas E. Hart House



Marker ID: SCHM 16-10
Location: Road 10 (W. Carolina Ave. extension), near Hartsville city limits
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 21.938    W 080° 06.974
  34.36563333    -80.11623333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

This house was the residence of Captain Thomas Edwards Hart, who settled on these lands in 1817, and for whom Hartsville was named. He was a Justice of the Peace, Chairman of the Board of Free Schools, planter, merchant, and was appointed first Postmaster when the Hartsville Post Office was established in 1838. He died in 1842 at the age of 46.

Erected by Darlington County Historical Commission - 1970


Notes:

Kalmia Gardens of Coker College is located at 1624 West Carolina Avenue, Hartsville, SC 29550. These gardens are located on the bluffs of Black Creek, and are on the site of the early 19th century plantation of Captain Thomas Edwards Hart for whom Hartsville is named. The gardens were developed in the early 1930's by Mrs. David R. Coker. Over 30 acres of trails wind their way through the native and imported plants of these gardens all the way down to Black Creek.