Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Welsh Neck Church



Marker ID: SCHM 16-13
Location: US 401, in front of church, Society Hill (Front) Welsh Neck Church
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 30.755    W 079° 51.042
  34.51258333    -79.8507
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church, the pioneer center of Baptist influence in the area, was constituted January 1738 by Welsh from Pennsylvania and was originally located about two miles northeast of here. The first pastor was Philip James. It was incorporated March 17, 1785, as the "Baptist Church at the Welsh Neck on Pedee River."

(Reverse)
Seat of worship of this Baptist church was relocated here about 1799 on land acquired from Capt. William DeWitt. The second meeting house on this spot, dedicated in 1843, was destroyed by lightning July 5, 1928 and was replaced by the present structure in 1938.

Erected by Welsh Neck Baptist Church and the Darlington County Historical Commission - 1976