Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Society Hill Library Society



Marker ID: SCHM 16-26
Location: on Academy Street off Main Street, Society Hill
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 30.548    W 079° 51.295
  34.509133    -79.854917
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
On June 5, 1822, twelve men paid $20" each to purchase books for a library. These men were J. J. Evans; David and Elias Gregg; D. R. W., J. K. and T. E. McIver; Thomas Smith; Alexander Sparks; D. R. and J. N. Williams; J. F. Wilson; and J. D. Witherspoon. On December 7, 1822 the men formed the Society Hill Library Society.

(Reverse)
This society was incorporated Dec. 20, 1823 and by 1826 was located in a structure about 900 ft. N. on land given by John D. Witherspoon. Elias Gregg is thought to have been the first librarian, serving until 1844. The library building was moved from its original site on Main St. to the St. David´s Academy lot here about 1932. It was taken into the county library system in 1971.

Erected by South Carolina Society of Colonial Dames XVII Century - 1990