Historic Markers Across South Carolina



First Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 16-34
Location: 1n front of church, 104 E. Home Ave., Hartsville
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 22.595    W 080° 04.444
  34.37658333    -80.07406666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Members of New Providence and Gum Branch Baptist churches under John L. Hart´s leadership began Hartsville Baptist, the first church in town, 16 November 1850. A union Sunday school met on the site as early as July 1849. John L. Hart donated land on which the congregation built a sanctuary in 1851. Rev. J. W. Bum served as first pastor for many years. The church joined Welsh Neck Association in 1851, and the SC General

(Reverse)
Assembly chartered the congregation in 1853. By 1906 name changed to First Baptist Church. Dr. E. V. Baidy, pastor in 1909, served as first president of Coker College. New congregations established by this church are: Fourth Street 1906; Eastside (now Emmanuel) 1926; Lakeview 1944; South Hartsville 1951; West Hartsville 1952; and North Hartsville 1959. The congregation completed the present sanctuary 1964.

Erected by Hartsville Centennial Commission - 1995