Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Butler School



Marker ID: SCHM 16-35
Location: In front of the school, Sixth Street, Hartsville
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 21.539    W 080° 04.206
  34.35898333    -80.0701
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

Butler School, located on this site since 1921, was the second public school to serve Hartsville´s black community and operated for over sixty years. Known as the Darlington Co. Training School until 1939, it was renamed for Rev. Henry H. Butler, its principa11909-1946. The first building on this site burned in 1961; extant buildings date from 1936 to the mid 1960s. Butler School was a junior high and high school when it closed in 1982.

Erected by Hartsville Centennial Commission - 1996