Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Society Hill Presbyterian Church



Marker ID: SCHM 16-36
Location: 3/10 mi. north of the church, Society Hill
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 30.546    W 079° 51.296
  34.5091    -79.85493333
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front) Was organized August 12, 1891 with 17 charter members, by a commission of the Pee Dee Presbytery under Revs. J. G. Law, J. G. Richards, and W. B. Corbett. Elders H. A. Womack and J. S. McCall and deacon L .M. Crosswell were appointed church officers. Services were held in the school until the sanctuary was built 1892-93; a manse was built 1922. Rev. J. P. Marion, the first full-time minister, served 1892-1902.

(Reverse) For several years in the early twentieth century the church also sponsored seminary students preaching at as many as six mission stations in the Pee Dee region without financial aid from the Presbytery. Society Hill Presbyterian Church is in the Welsh Neck-Long Bluff-Society Hill Historic District, listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1974.

Erected by the congregation - 1996