Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Damascus Methodist Church



Marker ID:  16-46
Location: on E Home Ave. near Damascus Church Rd., Hartsville, SC
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 22.940    W 080° 03.043
  34.38233333    -80.05071666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

The church organized as early as 1817 and known as "Wright´s Meeting House, Black Creek" was the first Methodist congregation in the area. James D. Wright, an elder who was appointed "Exhorter" in 1826, preached here until his death in 1862. Damascus Methodist Church declined after 1893, when Wesley Methodist Church was founded in Hartsville; it disbanded by 1901.

Erected by the Darlington County Historical Commission, 2001