Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Julius A. Dargan House



Marker ID: SCHM 16-52
Location: on Pearl St. it
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 17.983    W 079° 52.643
  34.299717    -79.877383
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(front)
This house was built in 1856 for Julius A. Dargan (1815~1861). Built on land acquired from Jessie H. Lide in 1839, the house is a fine example of the Greek Revival style. Dargan briefly taught school and practiced law with his brother G.W. Dargan for many years; he was also a state representative 1850~52, delegate to the Secession Convention, and signer of the Ordinance of Secession.

(reverse)
After Dargan´s death in 1861 the house passed to several owners, most notably A.G. Kollock (1862~1930), editor of the Darlington News, and J.C. Stone (1900~1976), Manager of the Darlington Coca~Cola Bottling Company. The house was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1988. It was acquired by the city of Darlington in 1999 and restored by the city in 2003.

Erected by the Darlington Landmark Commission - 2004