Historic Markers Across South Carolina

Lydia Rural Fire Dept.

Marker ID: SCHM 16-53
Location: W. Lydia Hwy. (U.S. Hwy. 15), Lydia, SC
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 17.346    W 080° 6.46
  34.2891    -80.10766666
Style: Free Standing **


Lydia Rural Fire Department

The Lydia Rural Fire Department, the first rural fire department in this county, was organized in 1954 after fires destroyed three houses in less than a month. Its organizers met at the store and gas station owned by E. Gay Bass (1913-1997). By mid-1955 the department had received a charter, built a fire station, and bought two trucks. Bass, its first fire chief, served 23 years.

Erected by Lydia Rural Fire Department 2005