Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Mont Clare Community Center



Marker ID: SCHM 16-57
Location: 1632 Mont Clare Rd., Darlington, SC
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 23.828    W 079° 49.023
  34.39713333    -79.81705
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This community center, the first in Darlington County, was built in 1933 by area citizens. The land was donated by E.M. Williamson of Mont Clare Plantation, the cypress logs and other lumber were cut at T.C. Coxe´s Skufful Plantation, and the sandstone for the foundation was quarried at Skufful Plantation.

(Reverse)
The Mont Clare Mission was a nondenominational Sunday School and worship service organized in 1913 at nearby Mont Clare School. It met here from 1933 until Mont Clare Baptist Church was formally founded in 1960. This center, described as a “lovely log building,” has hosted church, school, and other events.

Erected by the Welsh Tract Historic Properties Association, 2008