Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Society Hill Depot



Marker ID: SCHM 16-58
Location: On N Main St (US 15/401) at W Depot St, Society Hill, SC.H
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 31.105    W 079° 50.653
  34.51841666    -79.84421666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This depot, built shortly after the Civil War, features a distinctive architectural design favored by the Cheraw & Darlington Railroad during its history as an independent line. The C & D, chartered in 1849, ran 40 miles between Cheraw and present-day Florence and began service in 1855. The first combined passenger and freight depot in Society Hill was built nearby on West Depot St.

(Reverse)
Federal troops burned the original depot, a short distance north, in March 1865. This depot, constructed on the same plans, was built there by 1866. The Cheraw & Darlington RR was acquired by the Atlantic Coast Line RR in 1898. This was a freight and passenger depot until the 1940s and a freight depot until 1973. Now owned by the Town of Society Hill, it was moved here in 2002.

Erected by the Darlington County Historical Commission, 2008