Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Mount Pleasant Baptist Church / Lowther's Hill Cemetery



Marker ID: SCHM 16-61
Location: on Hwy 34 near Mechanicsville, SC
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 21.185    W 079° 44.464
  34.35308333    -79.74106666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

MOUNT PLEASANT BAPTIST CHURCH
Mount Pleasant Baptist Church, organized by 1785, first met in a nearby school. It built a sanctuary here in 1791; that year Cashaway Baptist Church merged with it. In 1818 the congregation moved about 2 mi. S to Mechanicsville, built a new sanctuary there and was renamed Mechanicsville Baptist Church

LOWTHER´S HILL CEMETERY
This Cemetery was established ca. 1789, after Mount Pleasant Baptist Church relocated here; burials continued until 1956. Prominent area leaders buried here include Maj. Robert Lide (1734~1802) an officer under Gen. Francis Marion; Capt. Thomas E. Hart (1796~1842), for whom Hartsville was named, and planter and state representative John Westfield Lide (1794~185).

Erected by the Darlington County Historical Commission - 2010