Historic Markers Across South Carolina



Oates



Marker ID: SCHM 16-62
Location: Intersection of S.C. Hwy. 403 & Seven Pines Rd., Oates, SC
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 15.196    W 080° 4.657
  34.25326666    -80.07761666
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
Oates, a thriving rural community from the 1880s to the 1930s, grew up around a general store built nearby by William J. Oates (1826-1897). Oates´s father James (1786-1873) had acquired a plantation here in 1824. William J. Oates, who moved to Florida and served in the Confederate army in a Florida unit, came home to Darlington District after the war.

(Reverse)
This crossroads was named Oates in 1880, when a post office was opened in the general store. Union Academy, founded about the same time, was succeeded by the Oates School in the 1930s. A spur off the Lydia-Lamar line of the Seaboard Air Line RR ran to Oates from 1912 to 1937. The Bank of Oates, founded in 1916, closed during the agricultural depression of the mid-to- late 1920s.

Erected by the Darlington County Historical Commission, 2010