Historic Markers Across South Carolina



New Providence Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 16-67
Location: 1884 Antioch Rd., Hartsville, SC
County: Darlington
Coordinates:   
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

(Front)
This church, with its origins in meetings held in a brush arbor as early as 1804, was organized into a formal congregation in 1812, with Rev. Charles Williams as its first pastor. Its first permanent church, a log building about 2 mi. NE, was replaced by a “comfortable meeting house” on that site about 1832.

(Reverse)
In 1850, after the congregation voted not to relocate to a site near Hartsville, some members and some from Gum Branch Baptist Church left to found First Baptist Church in Hartsville. The church acquired this 1.5-acre site in 1890 and built the present frame sanctuary in 1891, with several later renovations. The New Providence School nearby taught grades 1-8 from 1902 to 1913.

Erected by the Congregation, 2011