Historic Markers Across South Carolina



New Hopewell Baptist Church



Marker ID: SCHM 16-71
Location: 3500 New Hopewell Rd, Hartsville, SC
County: Darlington
Coordinates: N 34° 26.877    W 079° 56.958
  34.44795    -79.9493
Style: Free Standing **
 



Text:

New Hopewell Baptist Church


(Side 1:)
This church was formally organized soon after the Civil War. It was founded by 20 black members of Antioch Baptist Church, who received letters of dismissal to form their own congregation in 1869. Slaves and free blacks had belonged to Antioch Baptist Church since its organization in 1830.

(Side 2:)
This church held its first services in a brush arbor. In 1871 Mrs. Lottie Cosom donated an acre on this site, later expanded to four acres for the church and cemetery. New Hopewell built its first permanent church here in 1886, renovated in 1887 and 1917-18. The present sanctuary was built in 1962.


Sponsored by the Darlington County Historical Commission 2013